- FIRM PROFILE
Marsico Hall is a high-rise research facility including laboratories for drug discovery and delivery, a vivarium housing 3,000 small and 18 large animal cages, general wet laboratories, and a campus district energy plant. Marsico Hall houses many of the School of Medicine’s and the Eshelman School of Pharmacy’s research programs, including the Marsico Lung Institute, the Biomedical Research Imaging Center, and researchers from the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, nanomedicine, microbiology and immunology, and pharmaco-engineering. Underground chilled water piping work includes the replacement of 800 linear feet of 24″ chilled water mains and a new 18″ connection to the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. Imaging equipment located in the facility includes a cyclotron, a small bore 9T MRI, a 3T MRI, MR/PET, PET/CT, and multiple NMRs. Sustainable features include a district energy plant with heat recovery chillers, a runaround loop energy recovery system, variable volume laboratory controls, a non-potable water system, low flow plumbing fixtures, and laboratory equipment water saving options. This building is pursuing LEED Silver certification.
Mechanical and electrical systems noise and vibration control.
Audio-visual systems including videoconferencing and distance learning technologies for numerous medium and small classrooms and conference rooms.
Extension of the campus steam system, including the addition of manholes and precast pipe tunnels.
Voice and data pathways and cabling systems, complete wireless LAN coverage, and a raceway system supporting a distributed antenna system (DAS) for connection to future campus in-building wireless systems.
Video surveillance, access control, and alarm monitoring systems monitor laboratories and audit/log users into controlled spaces.
Two pure water generating systems are provided for the building, each serving three floors. Each system is sub-divided into a low-grade system that generates RO-quality water for distribution to glassware washers and clean steam generators for sterilizers and into a high-grade system (supplied from the low-grade system) that generates deionized water for distribution to laboratory pure water faucets. Each low-grade sub-system is capable of producing a minimum of 1,080 gallons per day; each high-grade sub-system is capable of producing a minimum of 675 gallons per day. The typical low-grade sub-system consists of pre-filters, a water softener, carbon filters, reverse-osmosis unit, master control unit (to control both the low- and high-grade sub-systems), storage tank, distribution pumps, ultraviolet sterilizer, post-filter, and distribution piping. The typical high-grade sub-system consists of a storage tank, distribution pumps, ultraviolet sterilizers, deionization vessels, post-filter, water quality monitor, and distribution piping.
Electrical design includes landscape and site lighting for a quad between Marsico Hall and the Genetic Medicine Building.
Marsico Hall is the recipient of the 2014 National ENR Excellence in Safety Award and the 2014 ENR Southeast Award of Merit in the Higher Education/ Research category.
The Veterinary Medical Center comprises the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, including the Cora
Renovation of Rebekah Scott Hall, a 1905 building on the National Register of Historic Places. The
The Food Product Innovation and Commercialization Building is a warehouse facility housing support
A state-of-the-art instructional building for the School of Nursing and supporting
The campus of Impact 360, including “The Commons”, a 36,000 square foot multipurpose
Acoustics, audio-visual systems and lighting for the Core Campus Residence Hall, a mixed-use
A three-story student wellness center housing counseling and psychological services (CAPS), case
In Design: Renovation of the circa 1930’s era Seacobeck Hall housing classrooms and
Under Construction: Phased renovation of the 100,000 square foot, four story, circa 1950s Judge S.
Expansion of the Blairsville Campus building to support health education programs. The addition
Conversion of the four story historically significant Beeson Hall from a residence hall into