Mechanical Engineer, Durham, NC (8+ years)
Newcomb & Boyd, a multi-discipline engineering firm in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina is looking for a Mechanical Engineer and Project Manager with specific experience working in the science and technology market sector.
For more than 95 years, we have been designing innovative systems that bring buildings to life. Our projects positively impact society, from research labs to cure infectious and chronic diseases to smart classrooms to inspire today’s scholars and tomorrow’s leaders. We are known for our sustainable and intelligent approach to design as we develop award-winning solutions for Fortune 500 companies, top healthcare systems, and leading universities.
At Newcomb & Boyd, we value the highest technical competencies, a “team-first” mentality, excellent communication skills, and a self-driven work ethic. We offer ample opportunities for professional growth, as evidenced by industry-low turnover.
- Lead the mechanical engineering design for science and technology projects, supervising a team of HVAC engineers.
- Manage multiple design projects, planning each step of the project production and contract administration processes.
- Grow client relationships and be the primary manager of those clients.
- Support the company with the design of complex HVAC systems.
- Coordinate design efforts working closely with our in-house disciplines, architectural clients, and building owners.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Demonstrate a high-level understanding of HVAC system concepts, as applicable to laboratories. Specific project types of interest include:
- cGMP cell therapy
- Biomedical research
- Vast experience in the HVAC consulting business, including large air handling, chilled water and hot water system design.
- Proficiency with designing and managing large, complex laboratory projects.
- Demonstrate proficiency with client management.
- Have a solid technical base with a desire to learn, lead, and grow into the firm’s primary lead mechanical engineer, project management, and client management role.
- Must prioritize effectively, have good follow-through, and practice self-implemented quality control measures.
- Able to communicate well in writing, as well as verbally.
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Possess a PE in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum Eight (8) years experience in the HVAC consulting business (large systems).
- Minimum Four (4) years experience in project management.
- Minimum Two (2) years experience supervising a team of at least two (2) mechanical engineers.
- Preferred specific project experience should include a minimum of three (3) large science + technology projects, minimum of $20M total construction cost, where the candidate’s role was both the project manager and the lead mechanical engineer.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
Be a Part of Our Team
In addition to mechanical and electrical design, Newcomb & Boyd caters to the needs of clients and owners through the integration of additional services including commissioning, acoustics, audio-visual, communications, building automation, theatre systems, security, and lighting design. Our portfolio comprises work across many market sectors, including aviation, civic & cultural, corporate, government, health care, academic, science & technology, and sports.
We offer a flexible work schedule, 401(k) plan with company match, employee and family social events, health and fitness programs, and many additional benefits. We believe our purpose is to provide engineering solutions to shape the world.
Come shape the world with us.
Newcomb & Boyd is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify.>